The Youth Support Coordinator is employed by Queensland Youth Services (QYS). QYS has a Memorandum of understanding with Shalom Christian College to emply the Youth Support Coordinator. The YSC works collaboratively with school staff to develop, implement and facilitate (as appropriate) programs to address students' social and personal barriers to learning. Possibilities include:
- Pastoral care class activities (rotational communications games)
- Pastoral care days – teambuilding & communication activities
- Supporting Student Council activities
- Youth Leadership programs
- Work Experience & Structured Workplace Learning / Traineeship / School Based Apprenticeship programs
- Young Women's Program
Programs offered each year are:
Shine is an 8 week program for young women in year 12 and 13 to ecourage personal growth, self worth, confidence and goal setting. The program is finalised with a celebration dinner at a nice restaurant to reflect on the experiences and things learnt over the previous weeks of the program.
Girls With A Purpose
Girls With A Purpose is an 8 week program that covers various topics including: assertiveness, communication, anger management, healthy relationships, safety and empathy. The end of the program is celebrated with a sit down meal with the young women to reflect on the program.
- Students can self-refer to the YSC or be referred by family or staff.
- The YSC also organises special activities and programs from time to time which are designed to address barriers to learning. Some of these in the past have been Muso Magic, Reef Fishing Trip, Holiday Camp, and Art Projects.
The YSC is at Shalom Christian College two days a week, working with young people at risk of disengaging or not transitioning into their senior phase of learning.
Shalom Christian College
Youth Support Coordinator